Monday, December 15, 2008

Cleaning House

I finally got around to switching my winter and summer clothes a few weeks ago. I knew I needed to do it, but the weather here wasn't that bad, so I didn't have a true incentive to do it. When I started, however, I realized that I would need to go through my drawers and shelves in the closet and figure out what I wanted to keep out through winter, and what I'd put away. As I started going through clothes, I decided to evaluate when I had last worn each item, whether it fit right, or if I was hanging on to things that were cluttering up my wardrobe. After about 15 minutes, I realized that it was time for me to truly evaluate my entire wardrobe, item by item. It seems that I've been going through the motions since I graduated from my college days... if something fit, I might as well keep it. You never know when something will come back in style, if it isn't in style any more! Well, I faced the facts, and began purging. Piece by piece, I faced the fact that no, I did not need that shirt that I hadn't worn in 4 years, nor did I need every workout top and sports bra I've had since 2002. The pile of clothes to give away kept growing and growing, to the point that the pile toppled over and it was time to start the second pile! After a few hours, I made it through every single item of clothing, from shirts and pants, to skirts and shoes. And when I was all said and done, I not only managed to fill 5 boxes with items I no longer wore, but also eliminated the need to "swap" summer and winter clothes! They all fit in my drawer and closet. (And yes, Joe still has his whole side of the closet and his share of shelf space!)
I'm amazed at how much I was able to get rid of, that had been simply taking up space and cluttering my life. And the best part? I can give a whole lot of good clothing to people who may actually wear and need it, and I'm left with the items that make me feel and look my best! It's a win-win situation in my book. :)

1 comment:

Mom said...

Yeh Lauren!! What an accomplishment and it is the perfect time for others to use what you don't need. I am very proud of you!