Saturday, March 7, 2009

What's a lonely girl to do?

Joe took a week of vacation this week. Although I couldn't take off, we were able to spend a few lazy days together, since we never have 2 day weekends anymore. He decided to go visit his mom and sisters in Arizona for the second half of the week, once he realized that Lisa and the kiddos were going to be there too. Having a free Southwest roundtrip ticket definitely helped make that decision easier!

So since Thursday, after signing on the refi of our house, it's been the pups and me. I realized last night that it has been a really long time since I've been home alone without Joe - usually it's the other way around. Turns out, it's pretty boring! Joe got me a sewing machine for Christmas, which I haven't even gotten out of the box. With all of the house projects, it was pushed to the back of my mind. I guess sitting around with nothing to do got me to think about that sewing machine, just collecting dust in the basement. So after work last night, I headed to Jo-Ann's to look at patterns and fabrics and whatnot. I sewed for probably all of 4 hours about 15 years ago, so I'm a beginner's beginner, beside watching my mom sew when we were kids. I found a "sew easy!" dress pattern for $2.99 and decided it's never been a better time to get started.

Of course, by the time I finally got home, I realized the house needs to be cleaned before I start a new project. Sigh. My plans for the rest of today are to clean, try to take down the Christmas lights, that yes, are still up (but haven't been turned on in 2009!) and get ready to start cutting the pattern tomorrow. Eek! We'll see just how crafty this old girl is :)

1 comment:

Mom said...

You will do fine. Sewing is in your genes,your Mom, Great Grandma, Great Aunt and Dad's Mom were great seamstress's. Once you set your mind to anything, you can do it. Just take your time, have alittle patience and things will work out fine. If not, give me a call!!