Monday, July 27, 2009

First attempt at sewing

Well, it finally happened. After my doctor's appointment this morning, confirming everything's going well with the baby, I decided I needed to pull out the sewing machine I got for Christmas and start practicing. I went to Hobby Lobby looking for patterns that looked easy for a serious beginner like me, and that wouldn't take too long. I opted for a selection of baby clothes; shirt, pants, gown, hat, onesie, and diaper cover. After selecting a fabric I thought was cute and forgiving for crooked seams and whatnot, I got home, ate lunch and started reading the manual for putting the sewing machine together. Turns out, it's quite user friendly!

Once I had the bobbin filled and needle threaded, I set out to try the diaper cover - it had the fewest steps of all of the patterns, so I figured I couldn't screw it up that much.
Figuring I'd need a lot of space, I set the fabric and pattern up on the dining room table, with the sewing maching in the living room. As you might notice from the above picture, the girls are totally bored with this sewing stuff! I got a lot of extra fabric so I can practice a few times, but the initial stitching went really well. After looking online for some terms I wasn't familiar with, I felt ready to stitch in the elastic around the legs and back. While looking online, I found a website to make an identical cover, with easier to follow steps. However, I had gotten too far involved with my pattern to make the changes, so I charged onward. The cover looked really good until the elastic, when I didn't leave enough space to tuck the elastic into the little pocket, so I had to sew it on the outside of the cover. It would work fine, except I couldn't master the zig zag stitch evenly around corners, and keep the tension on the elastic consistent. The bottom picture shows the (almost) finished cover - I didn't remember to pick up the velcro fasteners, but I'll probably try again to get the elastic down pat before calling this one done. Not too shabby for a first time project, and it only took me an hour or two once I'd put the machine together!

2 comments:

Linda said...

That diaper cover is SO cute! Way to go on your first project! I think it's funny that you never did an "I'm pregnant" post, just started talking about the pregnancy-- :) I'm so excited for you guys! Keep us updated! And way to go Joe on the cake, etc. I have a card sitting here that I didn't send on time, so I figured I'd just text/email you, but now I can't even remember if I did that--so, if I forgot on Saturday, Happy Birthday!

Mom said...

It is so cute...I don't know which I am smiling about....you trying to sew or the adorable diaper cover!! Remember, I happen to know a few things about sewing so you can call and not do the research on the internet. I may have a few of my books still around. How about I smock and you sew? Keep up the good work!!