Monday, December 12, 2011

Toddler Christmas Party

On Thursday Joseph and I hosted a playgroup with some of his friends from our Mom's Group. We had a few last minute cancellations, so the event was smaller than I had anticipated, but I think it worked out in our favor. We planned on letting the kids decorated Christmas sugar cookies, and I was excited to see how they'd like it.

After playing for half an hour, I made some frosting, gathered the kids and moms, and we started decorating. Joseph had a chance to decorate some cookies last week at a Christmas event held by the city, so he acted like an old pro.

I had put a variety of sprinkles in plastic spice jars so that they all had lids with small holes. I put the frosting in small cups and each kid had a paint brush to use to paint the frosting onto the cookies. Although the other kids didn't have much experience with decorating cookies, they caught on quickly!



Soon the kiddos realized that they didn't need to wait for the frosting to dry to eat the cookies, and better yet, the sprinkles tasted great by themselves! I was really surprised that the activity kept their attention for so long - most of the kids sat at the table for well over 30 minutes, and after playing for a bit, Joseph wanted to come back for more.


After everyone left, Joseph helped me finish decorating the remaining cookies. He also volunteered to be the quality controller as well, and as you'll notice in the picture below, checked almost every cookie individually. We had a great time getting in the spirit of Christmas. I can't believe it's less than 2 weeks away now!

2 comments:

Linda said...

Paint brushes! Genius! I'm totally stealing that idea!

Mom said...

You are such a Great Mom!! Joseph doesn't even realize how lucky he is. Keep up the great work, I am so proud of you!!