Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Birthday Week

Last week was my birthday week. We had unseasonably nice weather on Tuesday and Wednesday so I quickly planned some fun outings with the kids. 

Tuesday after picking the kids up from PDO, we headed up to a farm outside St. Joseph to pick blackberries. The kids were really excited to see such big berries all over the bushes. 



It really is the perfect venue to let little kids pick, since they can get the berries down low. The farm puts weed mats down which make it so easy to walk between the rows. In about an hour we picked 5 pounds of berries. 


Not including the ones we ate while picking, of course!



The next morning we headed to the zoo. Auntie T came with us, and we met the Colsons there too. 

We will be sad when Nikita the polar bear leaves for another zoo later this year. He is so fun to watch!

At least, the big kids think so. Jack has a rough night and slept through most of his first trip to the zoo. 
We hung around the main part of the zoo, checking out the sea lions, monkeys, goats, frogs, meerkats and penguins before taking a spin on the carousel. 



Maddie was in a really great mood so we stayed much longer than I had anticipated. But we had to take a trip on the zoo train, so we snuck that in before heading home. 


Thursday the kids went to PDO and Jack hung out at home with me. I pulled out the bumbo seat and let him try it out. Although he can't hold himself upright very well, he enjoyed it!


Saturday morning was the Win for KC women's triathlon. I had signed up back in February and used it as a means to start training again. I hasn't anticipated just how difficult training, traveling, having an infant and going back to work would be, so I just kept telling myself that I was just in it to finish. 

Brandy signed up too and did an awesome job at the race! My time was about 4 minutes slower this year than last, but I still placed well so I was happy. 

Ashley was in town so she came out to cheer me on and help Joe with the kids. they ended up setting up an informal high five station along the run course. 


So happy about this finish line picture someone snapped of me at the race! 
After race photo with all of my kiddos! So glad they were there to support me and to be able to set an example for them. 

While we were waiting for the transition area to open, we caught Joseph and Maddie hiding out under the stroller, eating my birthday donuts. Their expressions were too funny when they were caught!


I spent the rest of the day relaxing at home and even snuck in a nap while Joe took the big kids to one of Maddie's friends' birthday party. Ashley watched the kids so we could go out to dinner, but we didn't stay out too late. It's hard work turning 29 again! It was a great birthday and I was so glad to spend it with family and good friends. :)

No comments: