Thursday, November 12, 2009

Super Active and Snickerdoodles

Little Joseph has gotten extremely active in the past few days. Yesterday, he was rolling around non-stop! Usually he'll be active for an hour or two, then calm for a few hours. Not yesterday. He was bumping and knocking around for most of the day, calmed down for a bit after dinner (I was up making cookies, so maybe he was trying to be good so I'd finish and eat them sooner!), and then was moving around constantly last night. I can say it's the first time I really haven't slept well because he was moving so much. I also woke up with a sharp pain in my ribs, which went away on its own after a bit, so I'm wondering if that was him or just another achey pregnancy symptom.

Gary took Joe and me out to dinner last night, and afterward I really wanted to bake. I didn't really care what I made, just had that desire to do the baking. So Joe decided he wanted Snickerdoodles. I found a new recipe (at least I think it's new) that went together really quickly, and let's just say that after making just under 5 dozen cookies at 8:30pm, only a dozen were left this morning! Joe and Gary gave it great reviews, so I thought I'd post it. I'd post a picture, but the remainder went to work with Joe, and if I had to guess, they're gone by now!

Snickerdoodles

Ingredients
1 cup shortening (I actually only had 1/2 c. shortening, so used that plus 1/2 c. unsalted softened butter)
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
2 3/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon salt
Cinnamon to taste

2 tablespoons white sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
In a large bowl, mix together the shortening and 1 1/2 cups of white sugar until smooth. Stir in the eggs one at a time, blending well after each. Combine the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt; stir into the batter until blended. I also added cinnamon to the batter.
Roll the dough into balls the size of small walnuts. Roll in a mixture of 2 tablespoons sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon. Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. The cookie balls didn't pick up much of the cinnamon/sugar mixture, so I sprinkled more on top after flattening the tops of the cookies slightly.
Bake in the preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned, but still soft.

These are the perfect texture - light crunch on the outside, but still super soft on the inside, and oh so good!

1 comment:

Mom said...

Gary does love soft cookies. Thanks for making him cookies.
Mom