Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Recap of the North Face Endurance Challenge

On Saturday, November 17th, joe and I ran in the North Face Endurance Challenge. Joe had signed up for the 50k with Scotty, and I used a free registration code a few weeks before the race to sign up for the 10k. Thankfully, Jill agreed to spend the night Friday and watch the kids for us, since the races started at 7am.

The morning started off really cool, and it took a solid mile and a half before my legs warmed up and didn't feel numb. This was my longest run this year, so I just focused on the fact that it was a good training run for my upcoming half marathon. The course was a nice winding path through UMKC, brookside, the plaza, Westport and back down the west side of Hyde park.

I didn't have a great race experience, and ended up running slower than I wanted, since I had to add in a number of walking breaks. I finished at about an 11 minute per mile pace, took my medal gratefully and headed through the finish line food tent, which was seriously disappointing. Tricia and I headed home so I could shower and relieve Jill. Luckily the kids did great for her!

We had plenty of time to hang out before heading back to the course to watch Scott and joe finish. We knew 31 miles would take them a long time, but Scott must have had more in the tank as he put some serious distance between himself and Joe. We thought we had plenty of time to make it back to see Scott finish, but apparently the gps app had just enough lag that we walked up seconds after he crossed the finish line. Boo!

Joe was about an hour behind, but we weren't sure when he was going to finish so we just hung out on the finish line. Joseph had been having fun running around with Tricia and watching other kids join their parents to run across the finish, and decided he wanted to also. Except when joe came down the hill and took Joseph's hand, 7 opted not to go. You can see him watching joe round the last corner and run for the finish. All of a sudden, Joseph took off running after him! He ended up running down the finish chute all by himself, and Tricia ran ahead to get Joe's attention so he could catch him. It was rather cute; Joseph didn't stop once!



No comments: