Thursday, December 31, 2009

Late Night and Early Wake Up Call

Last night Joe and I met a friend of his from college and his wife for a double date. We had a nice dinner at Outback catching up (we hadn't seen them since New Year's Eve a few years ago) and then went and saw the movie Avatar in 3D. Angie (the other wife) and I weren't terribly excited about seeing the movie but went along with the boys. Although it's really long (3 hours), I was pleasantly surprised. It was a better story line than I expected, and the imagery was really good. I'm sure I enjoyed it more because I wasn't expecting much, and honestly just hoped to stay awake through the whole thing (I have a tendency to fall asleep at movies that I'm not interested in). Joe, on the other hand, had higher expectations, and in his mind the movie didn't quite live up to them. To each his own!

Because of the length of the movie, we ended up getting home around midnight. After attending to the dogs and settling down, it was closer to 1am by the time we fell asleep. I haven't been sleeping too well lately - it's getting harder to get and stay comfortable. Early in the morning I woke up, unaware at first of why. Then I realized Lucy was standing at the end of the bed, moaning to go out. She's usually good about staying quiet until we're awake unless she really needs to go out, and since I was awake, I got up to let her and Molly out.

It's practice for what's to come in just a few weeks, right? Not exactly.

Turns out Lucy did need to go out, and did her business rather quickly. Molly, however, had other plans. I guess she hadn't met her quota for eating wild animals in 2009, and had to get one more in... It took Joe getting out of bed and going outside to bring her back in, as once she catches and starts eating the poor animal, she doesn't stop until forced to by one of us. As long as my early morning wake up calls with 7 don't involve wiping blood off his chin and checking for rabbit fur in his mouth, I'll take those over these mornings with the dogs any day!

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Be careful with your new baby and the dogs! I'm sure you've read tons about introducing your baby to your dogs, but let caution be your guide. We had some terrible experiences with one of our dogs biting our first child, and it was totally unexpected. We were lucky that the bites weren't bad, but I've researched and seen what sad things happen, especially if you have a dog used to "hunting" and biting animals. You'll need to be very vigilant. And don't let your love for your dog overwhelm your protection of your defenseless little baby. Your dog needs a "pack leader" to show where everyone ranks, not a "mommy". That was my mistake.