Sunday, April 11, 2010

Jinxing It

Wouldn't you know that as soon as I decide the one night of sleep was a fluke, he goes and does it two nights in a row! Now I'm convinced that he's fully capable of sleeping through the night, and I mean a good night - last night I fed him at 8:30 and put him down at 9pm, and he slept until 4am! He wakes to eat, have his diaper changed, and then quickly falls back asleep for another 2-3 hours. If this keeps up, I'm going to be much more rested!

Of course, now that he's sleeping longer at night, his daytime naps aren't as long. He used to go down around 10am for a few hours. Now I'm lucky if I can get an hour to an hour and a half out of him. Which figures, since this week I started doing the Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred workout DVD. It's only 30 minutes long, and is a high intensity interval training session, that I'm hoping will help me lose the last 13 lbs. I figured, 30 minutes? no problem! Except I think I've only managed to do the entire session once without having to stop to calm Joseph, give him a pacifier, etc. He seems to have different ideas about how I should be spending my time in the mornings!

And my first blogging "vent." This weekend is the first truly difficult weekend of mommy-hood I've experience. Why? It's the Brew-to-Brew race. We typically "compete" (we don't take it seriously at all) in a 40 mile relay race every April - a big group of friends and I do the race, which starts in KC at a brewery and ends at a brewery in Lawrence. Each leg of the race is 3-5 miles long, and each team is only allowed one vehicle (teams are 7-10 people). We usually pile into a truck and hang out, eating, drinking and having a good time for the whole day, since the race takes a good chunk of the day. Well, today is the race, and Joe had part of the group over yesterday to assemble sandwiches and snacks, after running around the city all afternoon buying the necessities. I got to sit at home with the baby, by myself, as Joe's expedition took over 3 hours longer than he anticipated and kept him up north - I had planned on meeting up with them to run the errands for a bit. Then today everyone met at our house at 7am to divide up the food, coolers and people into the team vehicles, before heading to the start of the race.

I had really hoped to be able to participate, and physically I could, although I'd be slow and need to walk part of my leg. However, breastfeeding Joseph is going really well, and a) I didn't want to bring the baby along for the whole day, b) I didn't want to leave him at home with a babysitter with a few bottles of pumped milk, since we'd be gone for 8-10 hours, and c) I really didn't want to have to pump and dump the breastmilk I'd need to express during the race. So in the end my desire to continue the good deal we have going on made the only remaining plausible option the least fun - not participate at all. So after watching everyone leave this morning, I've spent the day cleaning, doing yard work, met a friend for lunch, and sitting at home, trying to enjoy the sunny, 80 degree day by myself. As all the stay-at-home moms reading this know, it's a blessing to be able to stay with your child, but sometimes being alone all day gets lonely and it's nice to have a break from being "on" 24 hours a day. I really look forward to the weekends and having Joe around, and this weekend is the first that has been just like another work day, and worse, since I know he's out with all of our friends, having fun.

Here's hoping he doesn't completely disappoint me when he gets home and is at least somewhat sober, engaging and willing to help with the baby tonight. News from the race course, however, leads me to believe I may be kicking Joe out to sleep on the porch tonight. It's the closest thing we have to a dog house, since Lucy isn't much into sharing.

Vent over. ;)

2 comments:

Lisa C said...

Ugh. It's such an emotional roller coaster, especially when they are so little and not too interactive. Keep it up though. Being a stay at home mom is a totally different category of "hard", but it definitely is!

Nicole said...

Hey, at least you got to meet up with a friend for lunch, and at least this is not your typical weekend routine -- just imagine if it was normally like this! (For most of the SAHM's I know here in DC, it is.)