Monday, October 11, 2010

Sitting Up!

Yesterday the little guy figured out how to sit up on his own! He was down for his afternoon nap, and Joe was in the basement working on his workbench. I heard Joseph crying all of a sudden, but by the time I made it into the hallway to his room, he had stopped. I peeked in, and to my surprise (and his!) he was sitting up, staring at the doorway with a bewildered look on his face. It was too cute! And ever since, he's been pulling himself up to a sitting position whenever he rolls onto his belly.

I caught him in the act this morning....



He was busy playing with his kitchen, having figured out the "open/close" aspect of the door and the subsequent "on/off" of the singing refrigerator light. Its so fun to just watch him learn new things each day!



This video is from a few days ago, but I was trying to capture some of his funny faces. He makes one that we call a muppet face - when he gets excited about something, he'll stretch his arms out and hold them rigid while opening his mouth as wide as it gets. It's rather amusing :) He does it briefly before deciding to suck his thumb.



I was trying to capture his "squishy face" in this one - he'll squish up his lips and squint his eyes and huff. Sometimes he even does it at relevant, appropriate times. But usually it'll just appear when he's trying to be funny.
 




And a few fun pictures taken this evening. Joseph has the best time in the tub, and luckily when we bought this sink we knew it would be great for giving little kids a bath. We plan on keeping him in the sink as long as he'll fit because it's just so easy for us!

I caught him just as Joe was letting the water out and the sink was making a funny slurping noise that caught Joseph off guard.

Trying to get a few smiles for the camera.


 No, he isn't peeing! That small green thing off on the right side of the picture is a bath toy in Joe's hand, squirting water at Joseph. Can you believe how big he's getting??

I've been working at getting crafty around the house, as I alluded to in an earlier post. When my parents were in town a few weeks ago, my mom helped recover the seats on our dining room chairs. We hadn't done anything to them when we bought the set off Craigslist 3 years ago, and the old fabric was off white and stained in places. I found a tan/black/blue/white striped indoor/outdoor fabric on clearance this summer and hoped it would look good in the dining room. This picture makes the chairs look lighter than they do in person, but they look really good! And now I don't have to worry about the fabric getting stained when Joseph is big enough to eat at the table!


I also wanted to clean up and organize the family room. We usually keep our laptops on the floor off to the side of the couch, but it leaves a jumbled mess of cords. Joseph LOVES trying to get to the cords and chew on them... not the most ideal teethers. So I decided to try painting an old end table I had gotten a long time ago that was water stained and scratched up.

 I removed the decorative pieces on the ends, sanded it down added a few coats of black paint and varnish to seal it, and it's now found a new life in the living room. My favorite part was realizing there was enough space to attach the power strip we use for the computers up under the top so the cords are all contained nicely behind the table. Ok, maybe my most  favorite part is finally having a place to use the photo coasters we received as a Christmas gift...complete with Joseph's pictures!

So that's what we've been up to. Stay tuned - more crafting is going on this week, along with lots of yard work (preparing for spring planting already) and hopefully a finished work bench too!

3 comments:

Mom said...

Your table looks great!! I love the video's of Joseph!! He is just sooo cute!

Lisa C said...

My kids loved watching those videos of 7. You have a request to post more :)

I think this is my favorite age in the first year: sitting, but not yet crawling. They are so content to sit and learn and play.

Mom said...

The chairs look great. That fabric was a good color choice for the table and the room.

The videos of seven are sooo cute, I can't believe how quickly he's growing. MOM