Sunday, October 28, 2012

Best Big Brother

Joseph is really settling into his role as big brother quite well. He still adores Maddie and gives her more kisses than Joe, me and Molly combined. It's really sweet, although his need to take care of her means lots of time spent in time out as he learns what's appropriate in terms of taking care of his sister and what isn't, and why it's still important to listen to Mommy and Daddy. Selective listening has really started to kick in!
 
On Tuesday, I had started to make lunch for Joseph when Madeline woke up from her nap fussing. I told him I'd be right back and convinced him I didn't need him to come running up to her room as well (which is what usually happens). As I was getting her calmed down, I heard scuffling sounds and a clanging in the kitchen. Concerned, I ran back downstairs to see this:
 

I had gotten as far as spreading peanut butter on some bread for his sandwich before I had left the kitchen. Joseph just about melted my heart when I asked him what he was doing, and he responded "JoJo making sammich for Mommy!" Could he be any sweeter?


And although he knows that he's not supposed to use a knife, he was delicately putting it in the jar,  


inspecting the amount he managed to get on the knife,

 
and spread it oh so carefully on a new piece of bread for my sandwich. There was no way I could be mad about him using a butter knife when he was so sweet and careful about the whole thing! It definitely reminded me to slow down and enjoy him, so I finished up making our lunches and we sat at the kitchen table, enjoying each other's company while Maddie continued to nap quietly.
 
 
Later that night, Joe let Joseph help him give Madeline a bath. Joseph has been so excited to help out with most tasks, and bathtime is definitely a big one for him!


Madeline loves being in the bath!



So happy to help out!


For all of his sweetness, though, I'm learning that I really have to keep a close eye on Joseph when he's around Madeline. He just doesn't understand what's safe and not, whether he could be hurting her or himself. We've already taught him how to lock the rocking chair into place, as he was climbing up and rocking back and forth while trying to reach her on the changing table.

Then earlier this week, I was swapping loads of laundry when Madeline started making noise. Joseph had been watching Mickey Mouse on our bed, and when I came back into the bedroom, realized he wasn't there. Maddie's door was still closed, so I headed downstairs, looked around, and couldn't find Joseph. That's when I heard a different noise coming from Madeline's room, and walked in to find this:



Actually, he was snuggling with her, with his eyes closed. I ran to grab the camera, and by then he was eager to show off.



I realized that he somehow managed to climb from the rocking chair up and over the side of the crib to get in. He told me she was sad, so he gave her the pacifier and turned on the mobile, and just wanted to be with her. While adorable, I also made sure he realized that he couldn't get into her bed again, as I'm amazed he didn't fall on her while climbing in.

So that's how's Joseph's doing, now that Madeline's been a part of the family for almost 2 months!


1 comment:

Mom said...

I have always thought Joseph was special but after reading this post he confirmed it! He is truly a special little boy that God has blessed us with! Keep up the excellent nurturing Lauren and Joe!