Sunday, October 7, 2012

Fun weekend with Nana and Papa

Saturday morning the kids and I drove Joe to the airport for his flight to Chicago for his first marathon. Our friends Kyle and Katie were getting married later in the afternoon, and I was nervous about taking both kids to the wedding by myself, so Jill and Gary agreed to watch Joseph for me. When Jill found out that the local fire station was doing an open house Saturday morning, I knew we had to make every effort to get there in time to go! Joseph loves fire engines right now, so this was going to be so fun for him.
 
Joe's flight was at 9:40am, and the open house started at 10am, so we dropped Joe off and headed straight out to Basehor. Joseph and Nana played for about an hour before Gary came home from working at the church. Madeline was rather fussy and had just fallen asleep, and when given the option of whether he wanted Nana or Mom to go with him and Gary to the fire station, he was adamant that Nana go too. So Maddie and I hung out at the house for a while while Joseph headed off to the open house.
 
The station is quite large and had pulled all of the trucks outside to make space inside the station for games and exhibits. They had a big bounce house set up outside, and were giving tours of the fire station. The highlight of the open house for Joseph, though, was getting to take a ride in a real fire engine! He wanted to go with Papa, and when it was their turn, they were able to ride in the front seat!
 

Joseph was so excited!



Madeline and I left after the fire engine pulled away from the station, and headed home to get ready for the wedding. Since finding a pacifier she likes, Madeline has been sleeping much more, and for longer stretches of time. The problem is I never know when I'll get 2 hours, and when she'll go for 3 or 4. Luckily, I fed Madeline right before we left for the wedding, and she stayed asleep for the whole ceremony and most of the reception. We left the reception early, around 6:30, to head back out to Basehor to pick Joseph up as I hadn't really thought about the timing for the rest of the evening and forgot to bring pjs or nighttime diaper for Joseph to spend the night.

When we arrived back at Jill and Gary's, Joseph was finishing up dinner and wasn't too happy about leaving. Madeline decided it was time to make up for her 4 hour stretch of sleep and wanted to eat 2 hours later, at Jill's, and then again as soon as we got home. It made for a crazy evening as Joseph wasn't happy about missing bath time, too few stories, and not getting sung to, as by that point, Madeline was screaming her head off.

Luckily, after I got Joseph to bed, Madeline ate and then calmed down. She still wasn't ready to sleep, so we hung out in bed for a while, and she finally went to sleep around 10:30. She's been consistently going 5 hours between feedings for the first part of the night, and last night was no different. After that, though, she's back to 3 hours. I'm definitely enjoying the little bit of extra sleep though!

This morning Joseph woke up earlier than usual, and was in decent spirits. I decided that going to Sunday School and playing with the other kids would be fun for him, so I managed to get all of us dressed and out of the house in time for church. He seemed to have had a good time, but as soon as we got in the van to go home, things started to fall apart. He was fussy, then crying by the time we got home and wanted no part of eating a late breakfast/early lunch. Madeline was hungry and crying at the same time, and by 11am Joseph was crying enough and still refusing to eat, so I wasn't too surprised when I offered that it was time to go to bed and he agreed. I wasn't sure what was going on with him, but was happy that he seemed to fall asleep quickly.

After getting Maddie settled, I had a bit of time to work around the house, when Joseph woke up from his nap, crying again. This time he said he was sad about being awake, and had woken with a fever of 102 degrees. And then promptly had an accident while sitting in my lap. He was in such a sorry state that I got him cleaned up, changed, and since he was complaining that he was cold, grabbed a blanket and cuddled with him on the couch. Less than 10 minutes later he calmed down, and fell fast asleep in my arms, which hasn't happened in such a long time!

 
I was really nervous about how things would go when Maddie woke up, as Joseph and Maddie had pretty much spent most of the morning crying simultaneously and it was wearing me out. Jill called and offered to help, and later called back to check in on us and asked if they could bring dinner. Luckily Maddie opted to take her long nap while Joseph was at his neediest, and he was feeling a bit better when she woke up so things didn't get as ugly as I was anticipating. But I was still thankful for the extra help as she and Gary came in with dinner from Olive Garden and stayed long enough to play with Joseph for a bit before giving him a bath so I could take a shower. They said goodbye just before Joseph went down for bed, and as we finished our last story, Maddie woke up from her second long afternoon nap.
 
We're definitely looking forward to seeing Joe again tomorrow evening, and grateful for having a set of grandparents so close by! Joseph loved all of the extra attention on just him and I hope that he's feeling better tomorrow and back to his normal, happy self.

No comments: