Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Fun with Frosting (Happy Birthday Great-Papa!)

The weekend after Joseph's birthday, I took the kids to St. Louis so the family there could celebrate his third birthday. My grandfather (mom's dad) was celebrating his 88th birthday on Saturday, Feb. 23rd, so after the kids woke up from their naps, we went over to visit him.


My uncle had been over earlier in the day and brought a lot of cupcakes. Papa (Great Papa to the kiddos) was insistent that we eat some of them, so we were happy to oblige. Joseph's favorite color right now is green, so he was quick to grab one of white cupcakes with green sprinkles.


And he was really pretty happy about this after nap treat!

 Not to deny Madeline of a similar first as her brother, my mom tried to let her taste a bit of frosting. Joseph was just shy of his 6 month birthday during my birthday, back in 2010, and my parents made sure to sneak him a taste of cake and ice cream, so Maddie got the same treatment. She was definitely interested, but since her solid food experience to date (at that time) was rice cereal and oatmeal, I put the brakes on more samples.


Ashley, however, decided to let Mason get a taste of frosting as well. There's no refined sugars or anything bad in that, right? ;) I think she was secretly hoping he'd love it and lick it right off her finger.


In reality, his reaction was rather amusing, and a little off her expectations...


So she tried again, thinking he just wasn't used to it and might like another taste.



Nope. Turns out, Mason isn't a white frosting kind of guy! Bummer. There were some incredible chocolate cupcakes, and after trying a bite of mine, Joseph insisted on one of his own, too!




So glad we were able to get a few good pictures of my parents, the grandkids and Great Papa on such a fun day when Great Papa was in good spirits!

My parents are pretty persistent when it comes to spoiling their grandkids, so my dad opted to try out the chocolate frosting on Mason. Might as well, right?


 The verdict? He loved it! He practically gnawed my dad's finger off, trying to get the last bits of chocolate!





Joseph and Maddie showed off their special love. Maddie is solidly in the phase of enjoying trying to eat everyone's nose. While many don't enjoy the gummy, wet feeling, Joseph can't get enough of her special attention.

If you look closely, he's definitely smiling through the whole assault! I hope someday Madeline realizes just how incredible of an older brother she has!

No comments: