Friday, September 17, 2010

I love kids consignment sales!

This weekend is the semi-annual Just Between Friends kids consignment sale. I went last year and was amazed at the items people were selling - the building was the equivalent of a Best Buy, and it was filled with clothes, toys and baby gear, all at really good prices. This year I wanted to go as early as possible, and discovered that if I volunteered to work a 4 hour shift, I could attend a pre-sale, held 3 hours before the sale opened to first time moms, teachers and military. It also meant I could go on Wednesday afternoon, as opposed to Thursday morning, right before Joseph's morning nap time. Ashley worked her schedule so that she could come home early and babysit for me, so I could make this all happen. And man did I have a good time!

It was nice and quiet, and there weren't too many people there yet, so I actually was able to browse and not start grabbing things like crazy. The clothing racks were packed full, so I didn't spend too much time on them. The highlights of the sale, for me, were finding all of Joseph's 12 month pajamas and not spending more than $2 a pair (most are Carter's brand and hardly worn!), a few cute holiday and winter outfits, a booster seat chair for Grandma's house for $7, two Little Tikes tables and matching chairs (one set for our house, and one for Joe's office), a Little Tikes garden activity center, with the matching accessories, for $12, a few toys for Christmas (some were even brand new and still in the box), two winter hats, socks and his Halloween costume - brand new, still with the tags on, but without the high price! (He's going to be a giraffe :))

Sunday is half-price day, where everything left is sold at half price. Volunteers get to pre-shop the half price sale tomorrow afternoon, so depending on how our day is going, I may head back down and check the racks for more 12 and 18 month clothes. It's hard to predict what size he'll be wearing, since he's still so tall and skinny, and I know just wearing onesies in winter isn't going to cut it! Right now, he's just starting to fit into his 6 month shorts, and that's usually the case when he's wearing cloth diapers. I tried putting him in a pair of Baby Gap 6-12 month pants, and they were still really big on him.

The little guy is still doing great - he's rediscovered his ability to blow raspberries, and does it constantly now, especially while eating. I've tried to take a few videos, and will check them this weekend to see if it's worth posting them for you to see.

No comments: