Thursday, August 16, 2012

Visiting Baby Mason

Joseph and I decided to head to St. Louis during the last week of July/first of August, so that we could visit baby Mason again before I wouldn't be allowed to travel. I'm still fine driving, but it gets rather uncomfortable to sit for very long, so I figured we'd have fun taking the Amtrak train instead. The trip definitely took longer because of all the stops, but Joseph had a blast! He still talks about taking the big big train to Mimi and Papas. I think when we have time to plan, as long as gas prices remain high, it'll be one of our preferred ways to travel.

We last saw Mason the day after he was born, at the end of June, and he's definitely changed a lot in 5 weeks! Joseph couldn't get enough of his new cousin, although I think he was disappointed in how much the baby was sleeping.

We alternated between spending time at my parents' house and Ashley and Mikael's house, in between naps and other errands.

 The weather was still quite hot while we were there, so one night Joseph opted to go swimming with Aunt Toots, Uncle Mikael and Elliot. Mikael had a hose running the whole evening, trying to add water to the pool. Joseph discovered the hose and realized it was a lot more fun to hang out on the perimeter of the pool, spraying Aunt Toots, who took it quite well. Not sure she would have been as happy to have anyone else spraying her with the hose!


We also spent some time with my grandfather. He's getting ready to downsize apartments, so mom, Joseph and I went over one day to pack up some of his more fragile items. Joseph brought his bag full of puzzles, books and trains/cars, and he and Papa spent the morning hanging out playing together. I'm not sure who had more fun, Joseph or Papa! I know Joseph probably won't remember much of these visits, but it's so wonderful for him to spend the time with his great-grandpa, who is so excited to be adding great-grandkids to his family ranks.


On Friday, mom, Joseph and I spent the morning babysitting so Ashley could get her hair done. Joseph opted to help give Mason a bottle, and tried to show him all of his toys. Once again, he was a little miffed when Mason didn't respond, but it didn't stop him from trying!



 By the end of the week, Joseph felt totally comfortable holding baby Mason, and whenever he saw someone else holding the baby, he'd confidently walk up to him/her, spread his arms wide, and say "come here, baby Mason!" I think he's going to have lots of fun being a big brother!


It's crazy to think how fast Mason is growing up, and sad too that we won't get to see him again until baby sister is born, which could be tomorrow or 3 weeks from now. I'm 38 weeks pregnant tomorrow, and at my doctor's appointment this week, I'm still just 1 cm dilated and 50% effaced. So although I'm feeling good, apparently so is baby sister and we're not expecting her to arrive early. Joseph and I still take Molly for good walks almost every morning, especially since the highs lately have been in the 70s/80s, which is crazy for August!

No comments: