Sunday, January 31, 2010

Fun Weekend and Final Baby Shower

This weekend has been really great. Yesteday Joe woke up early and snuck out of the house to get Fluffy Fresh donuts - they're the best! So I woke up to the smell of super fresh donuts for breakfast, yum! After being lazy for a bit, I did some light cleaning around the house (trying to keep it decent!) then Ashley and I went to get our nails done. I went straight from there to get my last haircut and highlight sans baby. What a nice afternoon for being pampered! Joe picked me up from the salon, and we had an early-ish dinner at Cheesecake Factory, during which he surprised me with a beautiful pearl necklace! We had seen it at a jewelry store a few weeks back while we were browsing at pieces made with the February birthstone, and it really stood out to me (not that pearls are the birthstone) and as Joe let me know, this wasn't a "push present"... I guess he just loves me! I haven't taken a picture of me wearing it yet, but it's really pretty.

We split two pieces of cheesecake, which I'd been craving all week. Ok, let's be honest - when doesn't cheesecake sound like a good idea?? 7 was really active all through dinner and I think I was having a few practice contractions, but we decided to go ahead and try to catch a movie, since this *could* be our last weekend without a baby. We made it to the theatre just in time to see "Edge of Darkness" - the new Mel Gibson movie. It was decent, but definitely not as good as it could have been.

After the movie, we headed home, took the dogs for a quick walk around the block, and went to bed - what a fun day!

Today was the annual Groundhog Run, a 5K or 10K run through some underground caves in KC. We've been doing it for the last few years, and I thought about getting up for it, but decided just to stay in bed when the alarm went off. Joe went and ran the 5K with a few friends. This afternoon we finally bought jumper cables, so Joe could get my car started (the battery died a few weeks ago). I was still using the battery that came with the car when I bought it 6 years ago, so it was definitely time to be replaced! He took care of that while I got ready for the baby shower our friend Danny and neighbor Carmen threw for us.

This wasn't like any old baby shower. It was a couples' shower, and we played a few fun games that everyone got into and there was plenty of booze flowing for all but the mama-to-be. The first was a "guess the baby food" game, with 9 jars lined up, sans labels. Some were easy, like sweet potatoes and peas. Others, tasted odd or good, but somewhat un-identifiable... mac & cheese, and bananas to name a few. The meats were the worst - turns out pureed chicken and mashed veal are just awful! I posted a bunch of pictures on my facebook if you want to see the reactions. We also played a mad-libs version of nursery rhymes, and there were definitely some creative answers! We got a bunch of cute baby clothes, swaddlers, a humidifier, rattles and more - we really have some great friends!

Now we just have to wait for the fun to really begin. My next doctor's appointment is tomorrow morning, where hopefully we'll find out if I've made any more progress. It certainly feels like it, but with my due date still 12 days away, it's hard to acknowledge that in all reality it could be 3 weeks or more before we meet the little guy!

1 comment:

Mom said...

Sounds like alot of fun!!! Can't wait to see your pearls! How sweet of Joe!! You look wonderful in those pictures!! 12 days and counting! Who knows if Joe will be correct in thinking Joseph will come on the second. Keep us posted!!!!